07 September 2009

Japan 2009 Summer Trip

Despite my plan to abuse my 7 days JR Pass, I ended up only with 6 days in Japan. My first day in Tokyo was pretty much simple.
  • 15:00 Arrived at Narita Airport & cleared the immigration.
  • 15:30 Exchange my JR Pass
  • 16:00 Hopped on Narita Express to Tokyo
  • 17:00 Arrived in Tokyo Station, change train
  • 17:15 Arrived in K’s house Tokyo. Checked in
  • 17:45 Refreshed after shower, back on the street
  • 18:15 Lost in Tokyo!













In total, my train & Shinkansen for 6 days would had cost me 85,000 yen, but I only paid 28,300 for my JR Pass. Total abuse of JR Pass: 56,700 yen.

I learned the hard way to discover that most trains & subway in Tokyo are not JR lines!!! Meaning JR Pass is not valid on these lines, and the most of convenient way to travel to major destinations are through these so called “private” lines instead of JR lines.

In line with my plan to abuse my JR Pass (and stingy to spend extra yen), I ended up traveled mostly on JR Yamanote line around Tokyo. I found JR Yamanote line is the safest for a lost traveler like me, because this line goes around Tokyo in circle and they have English display on the train.

To sum up, my 6 days travel itinerary in Japan this time is as follow:

Day 1 – Tokyo
Went to see Tokyo Tower only despite my initial plan to venture out in Odaiba, left alone soaking in Oedo Onsen.


















Day 2 – Tokyo to Kyoto
Tsukiji Fish Market in the morning, with the first train of Oedo Subway Line at 05:05 AM from Kuramae Station. Kuramae is the nearest station to K’s House Tokyo where I spent the night.


















After the most expensive breakfast in my life at Daiwa Sushi (3,500 Yen for sushi set menu) and my love at first lick of fatty tuna, I started my first abuse of my JR Pass by taking Shinkan
sen from Tokyo to Kyoto. 3 hours Shinkansen ride later, I arrived at Kyoto Station around noon and went to Fushimi Inari before calling it a day.


















Day 3
– Kyoto to Beppu
Taking the first
Shinkansen from Kyoto to Hiroshima, I arrived at Hiroshima station just before 10am. Spent a few hours in A-Bomb Dome site before taking another Shinkansen to the end of Sanyo Shinkansen line, Hakata.














I went all the way to Hakata because it’s the original place where my favorite ramen, the Tonkotsu ramen! Ichiran ramen is the most famous chain selling tonkotsu, and I was not disappointed!

From Hak
ata, I took another Shinkansen to Kokura before changing to local train, Sonic Express, to Beppu. Beppu is truly is an onsen town. A free foot onsen welcomes everyone right in front of the Beppu station. Steam comes out practically from any crack on the Beppu ground.














I soaked in 3 different onsen in just 9 hours of my stay in Beppu. Felt like a used tea bag after dipping here & there.


Day 4 – Beppu to Kyoto
Trip back to Kyoto on Sonic Express to Kokura, continued with Shinkansen to Kyoto.














Day 5 – Kyoto to Tokyo

Nothing much o
n my fifth day in Japan. Went to Shinjuku for dinner, and walked around in Kabukicho and got a card from Japanese lady boys. Managed to find an onsen in Asakusa area, and had a dip before calling it a day.


















Day 6 – Tokyo to Narita
On the last day, I finally went to Odaiba. I had enough of temples & shines by that time and in Odaiba I saw maybe one of the sight that can only be seen in Japan. A real life scale of Gundam RX-78. I am not a fan of Gundam, but this Gundam will only be erected there until the end of Aug’09, so it’s worth a visit.















In the next few post, I will write more detail of places I visited in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment