12 September 2009

Tokyo

My impression of Tokyo? It’s a biggg city that has everything for anyone. It’ has one of the most complex train and subway networks in the world.

First thing you would need before going to Tokyo is to download & print it’s train network map. Marking the nearest station to the point of interest you would want to visit, may be a good idea. I didn’t do this and ended up gawking at the map after I arrived in Tokyo instead.

For Tokyo train & subway network map, click here.
For JR lines in Tokyo, click here (PDF)
For greater Tokyo train map, click here (PDF)

I found JR Yamanote line is the easiest way for me as a tourist to travel around Tokyo. It’s a JR line, so JR Pass is valid to travel on this line, and this line goes around Tokyo’s famous spot such as Shinjuku, Shibuya, & Akihabara.

A one day itinerary in Tokyo suggestion:
1. Tsukiji Market in the morning
2. Starbucks in Shibuya
3. Meiji Shrine
4. Tokyo Tower
5. Akihabara
6. Sensoji Temple & Kaminarimon in Asakusa
7. Jakotsuyu Onsen

Tsukiji Market
Download my printable map on how to get to Tsukiji market here.














I strongly recommend to take the earliest train (around 5am in the morning) to go here. Spend about 1 to 2 hours to walk around the alley and try one of the sushi stalls between building no.5 & 6. The famous ones are Sushi Dai & Daiwa Sushi (around 3,500 for a set menu).


















Shibuya
After breakfast at Tsukiji, sipping coffee while watching over the crossing in Shibuya during rush hour is quite amusing.


















Meiji Shrine
This shrine that projects majestic impression from the moment you see its first torii. It’s quite unbelievable that it’s located just a stone throw away from Harajuku, the centre of Japanese fashion victims.














Try to visit this shrine in the morning, when less tourist around and enjoy the grand & tranquil shrine. Sometime I feel that foreign tourist just does not fit into Japan shrines or temples.

Tokyo Tower
Download my printable map on how to get to Tokyo Tower here.
I went to see this Tokyo icon in the morning & night, and I find night view of this tower is slightly better then the morning. But I wonder how it looks like during the golden sunset.


















Akihabara
The nerd side of Tokyo. From maid cafes, anime, arcade games, electronics, costumes (including kinky stuff), or simply useless stuff can be found in this area.














Asakusa
Download my printable map of Asakusa area here.
This area is my favorite suburb in Tokyo. It’s very convenient, so many budget hotels & eating places. Kaminarimon & Sensoji temple offers another iconic sight of Japan.


















Jakotsuyu Onsen
After walking around Tokyo the whole day, a dip in onsen is very relaxing. Jakotsuyu is a natural onsen, and charge very basic fare (450 yen).














If the map link is broken, drop me an email and I’ll try to email you the PDF file.

No comments:

Post a Comment