20 September 2009

Beppu

I had no idea why I decided to go to Beppu in summer. Beppu is well known for its onsen, which probably as the least favorite destination during hot summer.












I arrived in Beppu in the afternoon, after making a slight stop in Hakata with only one goal in my mind, to try their infamous tonkotsu (pork bone) ramen. Among so many ramen shops, Ichiran ramen is the most famous one.

Thanks to a nice lady in JR Hakata tourist information desk, I found the nearest Ichiran stall, just across JR Hakata station (10:00 – 22:00). I was planning to go all the way by bus or subway to Canal City.

This Ichiran ramen is the best decision I made during the trip!














Anyway, back to Beppu. I know Beppu is called Japan’s onsen capital, but I didn’t expect to see hot air steaming up practically from any possible crack from the street!














I stayed at Khaosan Beppu, a well located backpacker hostel. In this onsen capital, even a backpacker hostel is equipped with natural onsen!

The folks in Beppu like their onsen hot, and they really mean HOT. If you are up to the challenge, you can try takegawara onsen, famous for its hot water.

There are several onsen area around Beppu. Among them, the famous ones are Myouban onsen and Kannawa onsen. It takes about 30 minutes by bus to get there from JR Beppu station, and it cost around 320 yen.














If you don’t want to go to Beppu Jigoku, you might want to consider the time & bus cost. If you are just looking for a dip in onsen, Suginoi Hotel has an onsen with magnificent view over Beppu town.

I have uploaded Beppu city area map I got from the hostel. You can download it here.
For Kannawa onsen and Mouban onsen area map, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment