07 May 2010

Kyoto By Bicycle

JR pass is not really helpful when it comes to wonder around Kyoto, as most subway & train in Kyoto is run on private lines. Beside, when you bought JR Pass, which valid for Shinkansen, might as well abuse it to travel to the end of Japan like I did back in August 2009.













To wonder around Kyoto, there are 3 options you can consider:
  1. Bus Pass (500 yen / day) 2.
  2. Kansai Thru Pass (5,000 yen for 3 days & 3,800 yen for 2 days)
  3. Walk / cycling
I don’t like to wait for bus and all information about Kyoto bus (time table, route, etc) are in Japanese, which can turn simple trip to an adventure. My Japanese language is only enough to insult people instead of asking for help, so bus is not an option for me.

Kansai Thru Pass is really ideal to see most of Kyoto. I bought the 3 days pass, but I had a plan to abuse it to travel to the maximum distance it’s allowed, Nara, Arima, & Shirahama. Although in the end, I could not make it to Shirahama.













So I was left with cycling option. You can rent a bike for 700 yen for the whole day from K’s House Kyoto. Just make sure you go down to the front desk to get the bike key before 09:00 AM, or else you can only use your legs to get you around.













I cycled from K’s House as my starting point, and then;
  • cycled north along the river to Kyoto Imperial Palace,
  • North west to Ryoanji Temple to see the Rock Garden,
  • Continued further north to Kinkakuji Temple.
I have saved this cycling direction in Google Map. Click here for the link.


View Kyoto by bicyle in a larger map

After cycling like a mad man for half day (and it was winter when I did this!) a stop to Funaoka Onsen is really worth it! Although it’s called onsen, it doesn’t offer any meal. It’s purely for soaking in traditional Japanese way. Funaoka Onsen opens from 15:00 PM to 01:00 AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment