30 August 2010

Things I miss about Singapore

When I left Singapore a couple month ago, I never ever thought that I could find 1 thing that I would miss about the island nation. Yet here I am, a few months after I left Singapore, I came up with a list.

Compared with Australia, Sydney in particular, here are the top 10 things I missed from that little island.

1. Cheap taxi fare
With flag charge at S$2.50, Taxi cost about S$10 to S$15 to practically anywhere in the town. Even from the airport it would only cost about S$15 to S$20 to the city center. Compare to when I had to pay A$ 46 from Hyde Park to Maroubra (total of 11.5 km) in Sydney!!!

















2. Cheap public transport fare
The public train (MRT / SMRT) cost about S$2.10 one way for the longest distance. And no surcharge for airport line what so ever.
















3. Ez-Link card
Instead of using paper based ticket, 1 plastic card is enough for both bus & train in Singapore. It's convenient, rechargeable balance, hassle free determining the fares, and "greener" as most likely you will stick to only 1 card, compared to multiple paper tickets.

4. The food
Where do I start talking about the food? Singapore has all kind of cuisine from practically every country, starting from dirt cheap (S$0.70 for breakfast) to high class fine dining.


















5. Long / late trading hour
Not only they have yearly "Great Singapore Sale", they also have "Late night Shopping" where very last Friday of the month, shopping malls open up till midnight.


















6. Low income tax rate
Free tax for the first S$20,000 income, and 3.5% for the following S$10,000, and so on.


7. Easy access to the airport
How to go to the airport? Read reason no.1 above and hail a taxi! Or simply hop on the train for less then S$ 3.50.


8. Fast & efficient immigration process at the airport
The longest I waited at the immigration booth is 15 minutes.
















9. Holiday Destination options
Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, and Hongkong are all within 3 or 4 hours flight and has many budget carrier.
















10. GST refund
GST rate in Singapore is 7% and as a temporary visitor, you can get back the 5% GST you spent for your shopping at any shop in Singapore.

No comments:

Post a Comment